Starting a gaming company
If you are starting a gaming company, then you most probably love playing games – and that is great! Actually, the main reason cited for starting a gaming company, is the joy of creating games that you love playing.
Having said this, starting a gaming company is not an easy task. For one thing, the gaming business is a complex field that involves many different types of workers. In addition to the usual management positions, gaming companies also employ software developers, graphic artists, animators and sound designers, as well as specialists in many other areas.
Why gaming business needs specialised legal advise
Because the gaming business is growing so quickly, gaming start-up companies in this sector must deal with a unique set of issues. They need to choose the right corporate structure, protect their IP and safeguard user privacy – all while driving rapid growth in order to achieve the scale they need to succeed. Financing, regulatory, corporate and intellectual property rights are all matters that startups in the industry, will need to deal with. Having a team of specialised lawyers at your side, is critical for the success of your gaming company.
Here at Meridian, we have a deep understanding of the industry, we understand our clients’ needs and will give you practical and informed advice to protect and make the most of your digital and business assets. We will help your gaming business with a full range of legal services, specifically geared towards the requirements of this powerful industry.
We will help your gaming start up company make the right choices in every area of business development, including:
- Setting up a company and choosing the right corporate structure for your gaming company
- Structuring your corporate structure, in a tax efficient manner and taking advantage of tax planning opportunities, e.g the Cyprus IP Box
- Drafting and putting in place, shareholders agreements
- Drafting investment agreements and associated transaction and finance documentation
- Developing a strategy for IP protection for games software code, mobile applications, character names, character models etc
- Advising on trademark protection and copyright issues in jurisdictions around the world
- Drafting IP licensing agreements
- Drafting agreements for game development and publishing
- Developing agreements for financing, advertising and marketing
- Advice on licensing, including creating licensing agreements
- Mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures (JVs) and development agreements
- Setting up and managing payment systems and banking arrangements
- Handing privacy, security and data protection issues, including compliance with all the relevant regulations in each relevant jurisdiction.
- Assisting in Immigration services, such as advising upon and securing visas for recruiting the talent you require for your gaming company.
Are you a gaming start-up or fast-growing game developer? Are you preparing to launch your mobile app? Let's talk! Fill in the form below and schedule your 30 minute free consultation with one of our corporate lawyers, to discuss any questions about starting a gaming company.